Who’s going to pay my medical bills?

The shock of a car accident is immediate and lasting. Your first fears are your medical issues, but your next fears are how to pay for those medical bills. If you have been injured in a car accident in Pennsylvania, wondering how you can pay for your medical bills and other expenses is natural. Depending on the type of insurance coverage you have and who was at fault for the car accident, there are different ways to receive compensation for your medical bills.

No-fault state

Pennsylvania is a no-fault state, which means that regardless of who caused the car accident, your own insurance company will pay for your medical expenses up to a certain limit. This limit is determined by the amount of personal injury protection coverage you have in your policy. PIP coverage can range from $5,000 to $100,000 or more. PIP coverage also covers lost wages, funeral expenses and other related costs.

PIP limitations

However, PIP coverage may not be enough to cover all of your medical bills, especially if you have serious or long-term injuries. In that case, you may be able to file a claim against the other driver’s insurance company for additional compensation. This is only possible if you have full tort coverage in your policy, which allows you to sue the other driver for pain and suffering and other non-economic damages. If you have limited tort coverage, you can only sue the other driver if you have suffered a serious injury that results in permanent impairment or disfigurement.

Personal injury lawsuit

Another option to receive compensation for your medical bills is to file a lawsuit against the other driver or any other party that may be liable for the accident. This may include the manufacturer of a defective vehicle or part, the owner of a poorly maintained road or the employer of a negligent driver. A lawsuit can help you recover damages for your past and future medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses. However, you must file a lawsuit within two years from the date of the accident or you will lose your right to do so.